Sunday, September 13, 2009

Personal Statement



My greatest strengths would be perseverance and being personable. Perseverance has been demonstrated via my strong interest in research opportunities. I have had the chance to be in two research programmes while pursuing my degree in Life Sciences. One of which is the Undergraduate Research Programme in Science which I participated in my second semester of year one. It greatly influenced my perceptions and surfaced my childhood ambition of wanting to be a marine biologist.

After my second year of studies, I interned at Tropical Marine Science Institute, Singapore. There, I experienced the ‘real’ field trips where I was to dig in the mangroves for polychaetes and bivalves. It really brought me out of my comfort zone but gave me satisfaction at the same time. I believe that it was also a test of perseverance especially when we needed to wake up early to catch the tide and return to the lab afterwards.

Being very personable, I work very well in a team. I can talk to people I just met and easily expand my network of friends. Going to many camps as a teenager also helped exercise my social skills. I have always been the ‘bubbly girl’. During my internship, I also gained favour with people I met and got to understand career in Marine Biology better through many conversations. I thank God for this trait of mine because it has helped me in becoming who I am and I believe it will continue to be an asset for my career.

*language problems edited.

3 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

This is clear and concise, Audrey, but in a few cases I feel it isn't complete. For example, paragraph #1 seems to need a statement of illustration.

There are also some minor language issues.

1) undergraduate studies. One of which > ?

2) got to understand career better > a career in X better

Other than that, this is quite a positive indication of the type of person you are and why you would be a good choice for an internship or something similar.

Thanks!

sherlynn said...

Hey Audrey, thanks for the comment on my blog! (:

Anyway, after reading your post I must commend on your perseverance and your passion toward realising your childhood dreams. I believe many of us have unreachable childhood dreams and I'm glad you're realising yours (: I'm sure that those enriching experiences you'll have along the way will definitely help you excel in your future career.

Also, you have proven yourself to be amiable by accompanying on that faithful friday, AND I FOUND MY IPOD NANO! hahaha. So yes, thank you and continue to put a smile on the faces of your friends and family around you.

That's all from me, just a few minor errors apart those from Brad:

1. Being very personable, I work very well in a team.

2. It really.... satisfaction at the same time.

yupp! see you tmr! (:

Audrey Wong said...

Thanks Brad and Sherlynn.
I have edited the language problems.