Saturday, September 5, 2009

Am I hire-able?

Hi guys and girls,

I am doing my application letter in regards to the internship offered by Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC). It is opened to undergraduate and graduate students as well as fresh grads. More specifically, I am applying for the Internship in Environmental Studies and have chosen a project (out of many that they offer) which I am interested in for this application; Oyster Restoration and Gelatinous Zooplankton in Chesapeake Bay.

There's a short video clip about the program at their website: http://www.serc.si.edu/pro_training/internships/internships.aspx

Here's some information about the project I am interested in. I am supposed to send in the application letter to the project supervisor itself.

Oyster Restoration and Gelatinous Zooplankton in Chesapeake Bay
Season: Summer Project
Supervisor: Dr. Denise Breitburg , Estuarine Ecologist

What is the project about?
  • introduction of a non-native oyster to Chesapeake Bay
  • research on the ecology of jellyfish and ctenophores
  • examine potential risks and benefits of the proposed introduction (oysters)
  • study the abundance and distribution of gelatinous zooplankton in the Rhode River near SERC

What do interns do?

  • opportunity to conduct small-scale investigations in oyster ecology and restoration or gelatinous zooplankton behavior, reproduction, and ecology
  • learn field sampling techniques and experimental design
  • become familiar with an array of techniques including measurements of oyster disease prevalence and intensity, culturing fish eggs and larvae, and conducting experiments on ctenophore reproduction

Who should apply?

  • Interns interested in ecology, behavior and estuarine restoration
  • willingness to get wet, dirty and hot are important because of extensive fieldwork
  • Willingness to spend time in the field and laboratory, and use microscopy routinely
  • Interest in ecology and behavior

Application Letter

Block 38 Dover Road
#05-261
Singapore 130038

2nd September 2009

Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
Attn: Internship Coordinator
P.O. Box 28
647 Contees Wharf Road
Edgewater, MD 21037-0028

Dear Sir/Mdm.,

I am interested in the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center internship program and wish to apply for a position in Fall 2010.

I discovered this program on the SERC website and am particularly interested in it because it enables interns to work on projects and learn different techniques through hands on experience. Internships offered in the Ecology of Coastal Ecosystems and Population and Community Ecology captivated my attention because I know this is a field related to my career. Being able to participate in this internship will help me gain the experience I need and help me make better decisions enrolling into a graduate school. SERC is a leading research center in environmental studies which aims to provide solutions to environmental challenges. I do not only want to study for the sake of knowledge but to be able to provide answers to ecological questions we face. It will be my honor to get training and contribute to an institution whose mission statement I can relate to.

After looking at the projects offered by SERC, I would like to express my interest in the Oyster Restoration and Gelatinous Zooplankton in Chesapeake Bay project. Having worked twice with bivalves, it is hard not to develop a liking for them. Prior to this, I worked as an intern at Tropical Marine Science Institute and have gained experience in the field sampling estuarine specimens. Thus, I know what to expect working at intertidal zones. I also did polychaete identification and algae counts using the microscope for my projects so I am familiar with the microscope and have no problems working with it. I am more than willing to spend time at the field and laboratory to assist and learn. As I have not had any opportunity to work with jellyfish, I find this project hard to resist.

Having said so, I know I have great interest in this project and hope that my skills gained from previous internship would be of great help to the project. With my previous experience and interest, I will be a suitable candidate to assist in this research project. I will greatly appreciate the opportunity given to conduct research in oyster ecology and restoration.

Please contact me via the email address and phone number indicated below. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your consideration.

Audrey Wong
Cell phone: +65 84117754
Email: audreywal@gmail.com
___________________________________________________
Tell me how I can improve on it :)
Preferably strengh and weaknesses. Teehee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Audrey,

I think that your cover letter is quite well written! The tone is sincere and convincing. I hope you would be able to work in your desired area of interest in the near future (:

Some minor errors I've picked out.
1) Internships offered in the Ecology of Coastal Ecosystems and Population and Community Ecology (HAVE)captivated my attention because I know this is a field related to my career.
2) Having worked twice with bivalves, it is hard not to develop a liking for them. Perhaps a more formal tone can be used? Having worked with Bivalves twice, I have since developed a liking for them.
3)I know I have great interest in this project and hope that my skills gained from previous internship would be of great help to the project. Perhaps,replace great with another word? I have an immense/keen interest in the project and hope that I would be able to apply all the skills i have gained from prior interships and be of help to the project.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Jasmine

sherlynn said...

Hello Audrey! (:

Well first of all, I agree with Jasmine that your letter conveys your sincerity and keen interest in the internship you're applying for! In addition, you've also stated relevant experiences, thats good! (:

However, just a minor thing, I feel that certain sentences in your letter could be phrased in a more convincing way. An example of such a sentence is:

1. Having said so, I know I have a great interest in this project and hope that...

And perhaps you could also include some of the qualities you possess that could be relevant to this position, like detemination, passion, patience etc etc. Maybe that would let the reader get to know you more (:

Yupp, thats all from me!

Cheerios! (:

haivandethuong said...

Hi Audrey,

In the second and third paragraphs, I think it would be better to use some transition words such as “in addition” and “moreover” to link different ideas together.

For example:
I discovered this program on the SERC website and am particularly interested in it because it enables interns to work on projects and learn different techniques through hands on experience. Moreover, internships offered in the Ecology of Coastal Ecosystems and Population and Community Ecology captivated my attention because I know this is a field related to my career. Being able to participate in this internship will help me gain the experience I need and help me make better decisions enrolling into a graduate school. In addition, SERC is a leading research center in environmental studies which aims to provide solutions to environmental challenges. I do not only want to study for the sake of knowledge but to be able to provide answers to ecological questions we face. It will be my honor to get training and contribute to an institution whose mission statement I can relate to.

Other than that, I think it is a good cover letter.

Van