Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mirror mirror on the wall,

I feel very blessed and honoured to have such wonderful group members. Everyone worked on their own parts, came for meetings and contributed ideas. Our group met up twice before the presentation day to rearrange our slides and speech to make sure it flows well. I think if I can squeeze in a little bit more time for the presentation, I will be more satisfied with my performance but there are just too many projects and also other presentation to prepare. This was one of the first (presentation) so I did allocate enough time but I’m just hoping I had more. Well, I guess you do get short notices at work in the future.

During some of my past presentations, when I did not prepare enough and was over confident, I get tongue tied because my points do not flow. For this one, I did prepare notes using powerpoint and even printed it out to read because I had a class before the presentation. Gwen's our PowerPoint guru! She helped mend everyone’s slides. I think it was good because under one pair of hands, everything flows better. I thought our slides were pretty well structured except for the outline part. We did have an outline actually, at the ‘Objectives’ part but not very well emphasized probably.

During my presentation, I was a little nervous in the beginning but calmed down after that. It happens to me all the time when I speak in public. I think I just need to do more presentations to make it go away (but I hope not!). During my part, I also related to Gwen, Jas and Sherlynn in attempt to connect things together. Brad said I have a good voice projection and posture so that’s my strengths as well.

However, I think I shouldn’t have brought my piece of paper during the presentation. I can afford not to look at it. It’s my safety blanket, really. It’s a mistake because it showed that I didn’t prepare enough and perhaps lack of confidence as well.

I also stared at the slides a bit too much, disrupting eye contacts. Sometimes, I couldn’t help it because I can’t remember some of the points. Maybe if I rehearsed a little more, I could have done it but as I said, this is a hectic week. Actually, I thought I have no problems making eye contacts until I heard Brad’s feedback. On the same line on too little preparation, I actually forgot some elaboration I noted down. Also, I think I could have had a little bit more hand gestures but I am not sure if I had any because it’s subconscious and I was focusing on the points. If I’m conscious about hand gestures then I think I’ll have too much.

I think I just need more practice.

Don’t be afraid to post your comments :)

p.s. I just want to say I love you girls! WONDERWOMEN ROCKS.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Hello Audrey,

I feel that your group did quite well on Tuesday. Your group was prepared; the slides were informative, original and logical, and your group clearly showed the audience that you guys were familiar with your content. There was also cohesiveness between content of each presenters.

As part of the audience, it was quite evident you were quite nervous initially, but after some time, you gained back your confidence. There was suitable eye contact, and you had a good posture. However, I did feel that you were speaking a little too fast. It might be better if you pause after you've made an important claim/statement.

Having said the above, I personally feel that there was excellent rapport between you girls. (I kind of envy your group actually haha)

That's all from me :)

Cheers,
Mich

Brad Blackstone said...

This is a very detailed and critical reflection, Audrey, and you've already elicited good feedback from Michelle. I see she mentioned your group's obvious rapport. That came through, making it truly a group presentation. Thanks for that! I'll give you my more detailed comments later.

Audrey Wong said...

Michelle: Thanks for your feedback :)
Yes, I do realize that I was nervous and need to work on public speaking. And thanks for telling me that I was speaking a little too fast too. Guess that's because I speak fast during my everyday life as well but yes, I'll try to slow down next time. Maybe do a '10 things to remember during presentations list'. heh. Lastly, thank you for your kind words for our group. :p

Brad: Thank you and looking forward to your detailed post here. :)

Pei En said...

Hi Audrey,

I thought your group made a really strong start to the oral presentations.

You spoke in a very exhuberant tone, which I really liked because it kept the presentation exciting. However, I felt that you spoke a bit too quickly. Maybe it was quick relative to Gwen and Sherlyn's speed, but the changes in speed really caught me. Also, as you mentioned in your post, you did refer to the projection screen too much, which made it distracting to me.

Despite relying a bit too much on your slides, I felt that you made good eye contact. And your body language seemed natural and comfortable so I didn't sense your nerves as much.

On a little random note, I think you did a very true self-reflection of your own oral presentation. It's a good trait to be self-aware.

Pei En

BOBAG said...

Hi Audrey,
For your part of your presentation, the impression that I had was that you were reading off the mental script because you went quite fast! However, the content was there even though it may have been rushed.

I feel that it would have been best to do without the script, although I maybe guilty of that tomorrow. Like Gwen, I did expect your part to have been better, given the standard that you had set for yourself peer teaching.

as a whole, I feel that your group have put in a good amount of effort and showed knowledge of the topic.

cheers

Audrey Wong said...

Thanks Pei En and Feodor for you comments.

PeiEn: Yes, I know I have some issue with the speed. I'll work on that but it happens very often when I'm excited talking to friends even. As for refering to the slides, I just can't get some of the info into my head although I've been staring it for quite sometime before the presentation. It's different from peer teaching where the information can be absorbed once you read through it. I do need to get the key points from the slides before I elaborate on it, I guess. Maybe Brad can give me some input on that.

Feodor: I'm sorry you the impression of me reading off my mental script. To be honest, I just have a different version of saying it everytime I rehearse but when I get nervous I go quite fast. Also because I get the ideas coming in so fast, I just need to finish it maybe? And as I've mentioned in my reply to PeiEn, I feel that peer teaching and presenting this proposal is very different. It was very relaxed and the contents can easily be absorbed unlike this. Maybe presenting proposals is my weakness?

Nevertheless, thanks for taking time to comment here :)
Much appreciated.

Dongfang said...

Hi Michelle,

I think you and your group did quite well in the op.

I totally understand how nervous people could be if they were the first one to present in the class.There are always extra pressures. But you managed it.I know that you have full knowledge about your slides and about the proposal.

I liked your idea to make NUS student know and interact more with the alumni office.We will benefit much from seniors and mentors.NUS should consider your ideas seriously!

Audrey Wong said...

Hi Dongfang,

Thanks for your kind words. Hope you gained some knowledge about the alumni and make some use of their facilities. I'm so happy you still remember our recommendations till now! :)

Btw, I'm Audrey not Michelle.