Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reflections on Learning

First off, I registered myself in this class when I realized I had problems with my writing skills. Resume cover letter (as mentioned in my previous post) and my lab reports. I thought I should improve on these if research is going to be my career, with all those crazy reports to write. I didn’t want writing to be an obstacle. As much as I realize that communication skills can never be thought in merely 3 months, I wanted to get certain things right. What you ask me, I have no idea. I just know this will be something to complete my university education, like a missing piece of puzzle. I did contemplate for a few days (during the bidding period) if I should require this or not. I was thinking if this will be just another English class. Now I can say I never regret taking this.

So, what have I learnt this semester from ES2007S?

When I registered for this course, there are a few things I expect to be thought in the class. Those are the basics like business letters, resumes, interview tips, and etc. I must say that the peer-teaching learning experience was awesome. Not only we get to ‘practice’ before our oral presentation but I guess we pay more attention when our peers are up there. But what I didn’t expect from the course was the polishing of my soft skills, and the emphasis Brad puts on them. There are so many things I learn from the class. Some of them, I already know at the back of my mind but never put into practice and so many fresh tips I get learn both from Brad and the rest of the class. This is truly a two way learning class

During the course of blogging and writing various assignments, I have been more critical in my choices of words and grammar. I have been known for notorious grammar since young and frown upon by my mum for that. In school, I didn’t really care much about my English grades but I guess since I’m in university and I’m graded for it, so it makes a difference. The constant blogging (although not that many, just 7) definitely did some good to me.

I must also say the blogging buddy system was good. Without someone reading my work, I won’t be able to spot my mistakes. It’s a good practice to adopt. Only challenge is to get someone to read my work. There will not be any problem when its 250-500 words but I guess it will be a challenge to get someone to read a 10,000 word paper. So now I know why people employ editors.

Although not much tension happened at my group, I still definitely learn a lot working in my team. I am very thankful for being able to work with a group of nice girls with great sense of humour. Team work is essential and not having much tension doesn’t mean I don’t learn anything from it. If one of us decided to be a bad member by not showing up, there won’t be a smiling Wonderwomen group already. The most tensed moment in the group was during proposal editing when we decide what the phrases we should adopt, grammar usage are and even how the conclusion and abstract should be. There was a lot of trust in our group which made things went easy. I also appreciate the constructive criticism we gave each other and how each one of us took them. Being a life sciences student, working in the lab involves a lot of team work and I believe I will be able to put my skills into practice very often.

13 comments:

Jake Nguyen Thanh Long said...

Hey hey,

This is a very detail reflection, Audrey. Yes, the same as you, I have learnt a lot from the Class and become more professional :)).

Yep, the critical thinking and writing is the one that I have learnt from blog system.

I love the Wonderwomen with a very special style. Maybe because you are all girls (haha, no, no just kidding, lah ! :P). I am glad to hear that you have a very good bond with Wonderwomen where you are one them.

It's really nice to meet, to know and to talk to you, Audrey.

The class ended already, I feel pretty sad. But anyway, having more friends is fun, right.

See you somewhere, sometimes in the campus. oops, you're gonna be an Alumni, right? :P

See you, Audrey..

Cheers,

Jake

sherlynn said...

Hello hello Audrey!

I liked the idea about the two way learning class you mentioned in your reflection. It is really true that through this class, each and every one of us got a chance to learn about certain things/aspects about ourselves, about our classmates, and how we go about interacting and communicating with them. These are very obvious during class discussions and commenting on the blogposts like what I'm doing now! :D

Like you, I've always been rather afraid to write. My english has never been perfect, nor close to that. But I guess we all have to start somewhere, right? Being in life sciences, having to write countless lab reports, I'm sure you'd agree with me that writing well is such an essential part of our curriculum.

And you are right! Working in the lab does require alot of teamwork! Especially when the experimental results depends on tight coordination and communication between group members. I think the Wonderwomen has done most of such things right, and that probably also explains the rapport and trust we've built in each other.

Do take care, study hard for your exams, and yes! Hopefully I'd see you in some other class next semester! (:

Much love!

Audrey Wong said...

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your respond.

And no, I'm not going to be an alumni yet. haha. One more semester. You somehow make me feel so old! :p

Audrey

Audrey Wong said...

Sherlynn! Saw your comment right after I posted a reply to Jake's.

Yeah I agree we do learn a lot in this class, in a very different way as compared to our usual lecture, in content and style and I have never been more glad to sign up for a module like this. (Thank you, Brad)

Hopefully we'll make good use of what we have learned and continue to build our skills as we progress in life.

See you soon and all the best too!

g. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
g. said...

Hi Audrey!

Can I still point out ONE spelling mistake although this is the last post? Hahaha. I know you will squeal "I hate you" AGAIN. (:

--- "TAUGHT" (teach) not "THOUGHT" (think)

And yes, I agree that there were certainly alot of constructive criticism going on in WW. However, we were all able to respond positively to the criticisms and use them to improve our proposal. I think that takes alot of effort from each one of us. So Audrey, thank you for not hating me despite the numerous times I picked out your grammar mistakes! You still do love me right? Haha. (:

By the way, we have a WW lunch date. After exams. Until then, please study!

Love <3
Gwen

Audrey Wong said...

Thanks Gwen!! I love you. *rolls eyes*

Anyway, I must have gotten confused since I used it too many times and they sound alike.

WW lunch date gotta be between 27-29 November! My last paper is on 26th! And I am leaving Singapura on 30th morning. Heee

Michelle said...

Hello Audrey, my blogging buddy :)

First, thanks for editing some of my blog posts before I posted them up. I agree with you the buddy system is good. (Though I am not exactly certain of my writing skills...Hope I did help you in some way!)

Next, it is a pleasure to know you. You're quite the cheerful and bubbly girl, always offering interesting viewpoints from your own perspective. I still remember your really weird interview question... "What does it feel like to be a tomato (or potato)?" Really caught us off guard and created laughter among all of us.

Thanks for making es2007s lessons much more interesting :) Good luck for your exams!

Anonymous said...

Hi Audrey

MY PREVIOUS COMMENT DID NOT APPEAR! ): ): I am so upset.

Anyway, I can't agree more that ES has made us more conscious of our verbals and non-verbals, and forced us to 'dig' out many of the communication skills we might have known since young, but did not put into practice. Also, it made us more aware of the DOs and DON'Ts when giving an oral presentation. I find myself making mental notes on good or bad habits demonstrated during speeches very often these days. Being aware, is half the battle won I guess? (:

And, it has been a pleasure working with you. I cannot agree more that without a good rapport and trust in the other WW, our project would not have been as smooth-sailing as it was. Thank you! All the best in the finals! AND ehh! Why are you leaving S'pore so soon! I am only done on the 28th. Is there enough time to meet! (:

With Love
Jasmine

Audrey Wong said...

Jas :)

Hehe Don't be upset. At least this one appeared right? It happened to me before. Then, I was too lazy to type another one. Lol.

Yeah, I guess we need courses like ES to help us resurface the skills we have learned and put them into practice. You were very good in presentations and I am sure you have good public speaking skills. I always admire your calmness.

Was a pleasure to work with you too! And all the best for the exams.

I am leaving soon to make the fullest outta my holidays! Haha.
Can meet on the 28th or 29th. I don't mind. Don't know when is Sherlynn done?

BOBAG said...

Hey Audrey,
I would say that the Wonderwomen had the image of competency and ability when it came to the proposal, and I did use your group as some sort of a yardstick.

On another note, I would say that I didn't know what to expect when I signed up fro the module, and glad that you did!

cheers

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank you, Audrey, for first recognizing that you had a need for more skills development and second for joining us in ES2007S for quite a ride! I know the work was demanding, but I also know that you benefitted.

I also appreciate your many contributions to the class, your broad smile and good cheer being not the least of that.

Best wishes, as you continue your studies!

Audrey Wong said...

Thanks Feodor and Brad for your comments.

A lil sad there's no more ES2007 class to go to. Its one of the classes where I'm seldom late. (5 minutes not counted!!)

p.s. So frustrating that the comments keep coming in for this post! I'm trying to fill up the form. LOL. I am going to hand it in already. And I don't care. This will be the last number I'll mention in the paper.

p.p.s. I am not discouraging any comments. heh.